Guide To Buying A New Car
Are you tired of your current car? Or, are you a first time buyer? Grabbing a new car is a great way to get on the road with something fresh, reliable and exciting. But, for many, the actual process behind buying a new car is confusing and somewhat intimidating.
Here at Motorparks, we believe that should never be the case. Ordering a brand new car has never been more affordable, thanks to the multitude of finance options available – leading to more new cars sold in 2015 than in any other year. Now that spring is here and summer is on the horizon, a brand new car might be just the treat you need to spruce up your life.
With that in mind, here’s our guide to buying a new car.
When you’ve decided you’d like to get your hands on a new car, the research stage should begin. You’ll need to decide on a manufacturer and a model, then read some independent reviews to see if the car suits your needs. Think of things like:
- Does it have 5 doors or 3? Which version suits you? A family generally needs 5 doors.
- What is your budget? Is the car a premium brand that is more expensive than you are willing to pay? Perhaps look for a similar alternative.
- Consider the car’s actual running costs: tax, servicing, insurance and fuel economy.
- Make sure you pick a car that matches your requirements – you won’t want a city car if you spend a lot of time on the motorways, for example, or you might want a 4x4 if you spend lots of time driving on poor terrain and in harsh conditions.
- Consider which model you’d like. For example, a Ford Fiesta comes in 1.0 litre EcoBoost versions but also in 1.25 petrol models, with different trims. Don’t firmly decide yet, as learning more about the car once you’ve contacted a dealer might help you make up your mind.
Once you’ve decided on a vehicle, it’s time to get in touch with the dealership.
Visit the dealership
Get on the phone or email a salesman and let them know you’re interested in buying a car. Being pre-approved for a car loan can be handy at this point, but a salesman will also be keen to discuss finance options like a PCP or PCH plan with you.
You’ll be invited to a dealership to test drive a similar model, typically a show model that will match your new car as closely as possible.
From here, you’ve got to chat to the salesman as this is a chance to find out everything you need to know about the car. He or she will talk you through the options and pricing.
Don’t be pressured into features you don’t want or require – but do keep an open mind. Heated seats may seem an extravagance until you’re driving to work in the cold every winter.
Order your new car
You’ll be talked through options and agree to which you’d like. You’ll be able to select colour and other fun features before you finally have to sign the paperwork. Any financing agreements or options will have been explored at this stage, so you should know exactly how much you’re going to be paying.
Make sure you’re aware of any number plate or delivery costs before you agree to sign. From here, it’s a matter of finding out when your car will be delivered, then heading to pick it up.
Buying a new car is exciting, so make sure you select a model that you’ll use and appreciate for years to come. Have a look at our new cars and see if you find anything suitable. Happy driving!
Ideally link to the new car finance explained post when it goes live.